« Adam on Expertise | Main | Camera for Hire »

Oct 23, 2006

All the Joy. All the People. All the Time


This weekend someone asked me what I really wanted, and this is what came to mind.  I think I'll print some bumper stickers.

And hey, can anyone explain to me how to choose and show a Creative Commons copyright for this?  I've gone to the site and boy, I sure didn't get any obvious answers.

10:36 PM in Quotables | Permalink


A short, quick lesson in Creative Commons licensing. (Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, I am *definitely* not an intellectual property attorney, and this advice is not legal advice and may in fact be so bad that it will give you heartburn and ingrown toenails.)

When you pick a Creative Commons license, you are choosing how you are going to share something. Basically, there is a bundle of rights and privileges that you can choose to grant for the work you want to license. Approach it like ordering a combination-plate dinner from an old-school Chinese restaurant (one from column A, one from column B) and make a decision about each specific individual right or privilege that you want to grant, then add it all up and see what you've got.

For example. Everything I write on enrevanche is licensed under a Creative Commons "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5" license.

This means that people are free to reuse anything I do without asking further, provided that:

(1) They provide ATTRIBUTION, that is, credit (to me) where credit is due (unfortunately, Creative Commons does not provide stock language that would require Adulation, which is what I truly crave);

(2) They do not sell the product of reuse or otherwise use it for COMMERCIAL PURPOSES, and

(3) They SHARE ALIKE, meaning that they do not impose a more restrictive license on my material than the one I slapped on it.

Help any?

Posted by: Barry Campbell | Oct 24, 2006 4:21:13 AM

Oh, and I totally want one of those bumper stickers, even though I don't have a car.

Posted by: Barry Campbell | Oct 24, 2006 4:23:18 AM

Ok, so this has nothing to do with your question, but I saw a sign today that pretty much sums every man of a certain age and upbringing. "It isn't broke, it just lacks duct tape." Think we could turn that into a bumper sticker? On a side note, my dad denies this, but I do sometimes wonder if he just wrapped me in duct tape when I broke my collarbone some 35 years ago . . .

Posted by: Don | Oct 24, 2006 8:32:56 PM

Barry -- thanks for the summary, which is nicer than what the website provides. Followup question is: how do you *document* which type of license you are "attaching" to a piece of work. I was entirely hoping there were a variety of Creative Commons marks (like the (R) mark or the (C) mark for traditional registrations/copyrights) that I could attach to bumperstickers or photos to show my intentions.

Posted by: Phil | Oct 24, 2006 10:50:08 PM

Don - -

Did you hear the thing on "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!" about duct tape? Apparently it completely sucks as a solution for duct repair. (But it is good for killing warts.)

Posted by: Phil | Oct 24, 2006 10:50:55 PM

Followup question is: how do you *document* which type of license you are "attaching" to a piece of work.

For something published on the Internet, it's easy: you link to the license page for the relevant license.

For something in print, perhaps you could include a statement to the effect that "This (bumpersticker/postcard) is licensed under Creative Commons (licensetype); see (URL) for more information."

See their FAQ:

Can I apply a Creative Commons license to an offline work?

Yes. For offline works, you should identify which Creative Commons license you wish to apply to your work and then mark your work either: (a) with a statement such as “This work is licensed under the Creative Commons [insert description] License. To view a copy of this license, visit [insert url]; or, (b) send a letter to Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.” or insert the applicable license buttons with the same statement and URL link.

The only difference between applying a Creative Commons license to an offline work and applying it to an online work is that offline works will not include the metadata and, consequently, will not be identified via Creative Commons-customized search engines.

Posted by: Barry Campbell | Oct 26, 2006 4:56:08 AM