Apr 18, 2008
Job Opening - Development Director at Urban Ministries of Durham
Urban Ministries of Durham seeks an
Exceptional Development Director.
Our current budget is just over $1MM.
Our goals are even bigger.
That’s why we need someone great.
Homelessness. Hunger. Substance Abuse. Poverty. We confront these challenges every day. Can you help us fuel our efforts – as we work to improve the lives of our brothers and sisters in need?
Our work isn’t easy. Every day, we provide shelter to ~110 people, and serve more than ~500 meals. We have a substance abuse recovery program that opens the door to great successes, but that takes immense effort. Our food pantry and clothing closet serve ,more than 450 people every month. And much more work needs to be done.
In the words of one of our Board members, “we could double our spending and still use every penny on the essentials.”
We know that the money is out there. We just need to help people decide that they want to put it to work through Urban Ministries of Durham.
The Ideal Candidate
What are we looking for in our next Development Director? Here are the essentials:
• Compassion – You believe in the dignity of each person. You work in a way that respects and increases the dignity of our clients, donors, volunteers, and staff.
• Commitment to Results – You set goals you believe in, and you find a way to meet them. You create good outcomes even when the path is not easy.
• Leadership – For corporate and individual gifts, you lead by example and by teaching. Sometimes you make the Ask. Other times, you help the executive director (or a board member, or another volunteer) make the best Ask they can. With your leadership, the team gets stronger every year.
• Organization and Follow-through - You are a self-starter who sets and implements solid work-plans. For annual giving and for foundation or government grants, you work with your team of volunteers and colleagues to create professional and timely requests that turn into reliable funding streams. And you make sure we deliver the very best “Thank You”.
• Strength and Spirit – you make principled decisions based on shared organizational values. You inspire confidence among donors and colleagues.
Why Work with Urban Ministries of Durham?
Here are some reasons we might be the right place for you to do your good work:
• Urban Ministries of Durham (UMD) has a strong reputation built on nearly 25 years of service. Our programs improve every year.
• We partner closely with City and County government, religious organizations, and the private sector. We are a faith-based organization whose services are primarily secular.
• We have a diverse set of funding sources. Individuals, congregations, corporations, government grants, and foundation grants fuel our work. We are not over-reliant on any one funder, and many of our funders have supported us over many years.
• While it won’t be easy to meet and grow our budget every year, we know it can be done. Durham has the resources we need to rebuild lives and to strengthen our community. We have some great development volunteers who are ready to receive your quality guidance.
• Durham is a vibrant and growing community. Our downtown neighborhood is in the midst of incredible new development and urban renewal.
Much more about us is online at www.umdurham.org
We recognize that successful development directors come in different shapes and sizes, and that they come from different paths. That said, we have a list of likely characteristics:
Proven success in several of the following:
• Fundraising for $1MM+ budgets
• Annual Fund campaigns
• Major Gift campaigns (with responsibility for some fraction of Asks)
• Foundation and government grant writing
• Corporate giving requests.
Proven competence with several of the following:
• Leading and teaching other development committee staff and volunteers
• Database management (Sage Fundraising 50, MS Access)
• Public relations and marketing
• Event planning
Candidates with strong connections within the Durham community are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please send resume and letter of interest no later than May 20 to:
UMD Search Committee
c/o Phil Marsosudiro
UMD.search + gmail + com