Apr 15, 2008
Five Points Cafe is Open!
I had a nice lunch there with Claire from The Crone Report.*
And I asked the owner, Steven Matherly, what he'd like us to share with you:
- We're open!
- Breakfast opens at 7, and deli sandwiches and the like for lunch ($7 or $7.50 for a nice-sized sandwich, fancy chips plus a fountain drink.)
- The plan for evenings: "downtown Durham's dessert destination." Current desserts are provided by "The Cake Lady", Mrs. Lott (see pics below), who rents kitchen space at the Cafe, and also from Sweet Jane's and Guglhopf.
- In Phases 2 and 3, the cafe will add international dry goods (chick peas, arborio rice, etc. etc.), fresh vegetables, staples like milk and such, soon followed by sliced deli meats, fresh fish on ice, and eventually...
- ...Wine with a focus on affordable bottles, with many from South America.
Best of luck to Steven on his expansion into what I hope he'll eventually call "Five Points Cafe & Market" or some other name that suggests shopping and not just eating. Downtown Durham would love such a spot. A small, sustainable version of what Fowler's had hoped to be. A place for downtown residents and workers to pick up their evening's dinner groceries. You know, like they were living in a "City".
Here's a pic of Mrs. Lott (in hat) and other friendly folks:
Among her offers at the Cafe: pound cake, sweet potato pie, and a coconut cake of some kind. Below, ~1/3rd of a serving her very dense and not-to-sweet bread pudding. A monster-sized slab** goes for $2.85, which is a bargain for the amount of food and flavor you'll get.
Five Points Cafe
347 W. Main St.
Durham NC 27701
* DurhamFood of CookingEatingDurham came in just after we did, but was gracious enough to let me call blog dibs on "we were there first!" (I'm sure he could have gotten to his computer faster than I, had he wanted to.) And Claire was double-gracious enough to let me blog first -- extra nice since she picked up the tab.
Related: I never knew that I had a competitive personality until ~10 years ago when a few people pointed it out. Damn. Oh well. But since it's out now, I'll say it: "We win, we win, we win!"
Glad to hear good things. I'll pop in today or tomorrow and put up a review as well :)
Posted by: durhamfood | Apr 16, 2008 8:15:02 AM
Thanks for getting there first, Brother. I wanted to read up a little on Five Points Cafe before I stopped by, and I always value your opinion. Keep on Bloggin'!
Posted by: Edd | Apr 17, 2008 11:38:19 AM
Steven Matherly is an EXTREMELY unsanitary individual. He has Goats, and Chicken in the basement of his residence. Is that legal???? Not to mention how he wears clothing saturated with Animal Feces. Oh, wait what about how unsanitary he is. He's going to open a restaurant, and he is not even ServSafe certified.
Posted by: | Aug 26, 2008 6:34:39 PM